Saturday, June 18, 2011

Kaori Muraji Concert

I went to watch her concert at the RELC Auditorium.
It was a great concert and I enjoyed it.
Her technique was flawless, whether in terms of timing or articulation, but more importantly was her interpretation which was very good.
However the only disappointment was the auditorium's acoustic, half of the time I was hearing more of the air-conditioning's draft noise coming out from the vent above my head rather than listening to the beauty of her notes.

She started the concert with Fernando Sor's Opus 9 Variation on a theme by Mozart.
Every note sounded out clearly out and the timing was excellent.
Next she nailed the Prelude No.1 by Heitor Villa Lobos.
Following that was The ever famous La Catedral by Agustin Barrios.
Not the way I would play it but nonetheless sensitively interpreted, and musically executed.

Following that she paused a while to explain the next piece which was a contemporary number by Eric Clapton Tears in Heaven but arranged by a Japanese guitarist.
Though the arrangement was nice but I do feel that it tend to exhibit too much of virtuosity that rob the original flavour of the music.

Finally the 1st half ended with a medley of the Carmen suite.
This time round the arrangement had the original flavour and I like it a lot.

The 2nd half began a with a suite (6 movements) by Federico Mompou which I don't quite like.
(Just my taste)
And next was Waltz of the Flowers by Tchaikovsky which will be featured in her coming recording.
This arrangement was very well done retaining lots of the original flavour.
Finally she ended the concert with the Koyunbaba using Masaki Sakurai's raise fingerboard guitar.
It was needed as the tuning is C#minor.
Her original guitar wasn't a Romanillos as I have expected but by a Japanese maker Ono.
There are some mistakes in Koyunbaba but I still enjoyed it.

Finally she encored 2 pieces Cavatina by Stanley Meyers and Tango en Skai which was my favourite piece of the evening.
Following that, I got an autograph from her on her Bach's CD which I bought yesterday.
It was a very enjoyable concert.

She was not like typical Japanese musician which was unfamously known for being too technical.
Her playing was flawless but more importantly, her playing exhibit a touch of sensuality and sensitivity which I find is priceless.

No comments: